Boiled Beef and Carrots
This is a simple, very old fashioned but tasty recipe. Sometimes dumplings are added whilst the beef is cooking. To make dumplings, mix 100g (3.5oz) self raising flour with 50g(2oz) beef or vegetable suet and a pinch of salt. Bring together with sufficient cold water to make a soft dough. Divide into 8 and drop into the saucepan of beef 20 minutes before the end of cooking; cook with the lid on until the dumplings swell and cook through.
What you'll need
- 1.5kg (3lb) Simon Howie brisket of beef
- 1tbsp light brown sugar
- 1tsp salt
- 0.5tsp ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cloves
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 sticks celery, trimmed and cut into large slices
Putting it all together
- Wash and pat dry the beef, then place in a deep saucepan or flameproof casserole dish. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Pour over sufficient water to just cover and bring slowly to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for about 3 hours until tender.
- To serve, drain the meat and vegetables and place on a warm serving platter. Remove the string before slicing. The cooking juices can be served as they are or boiled rapidly to reduce by about one third before serving with the meat - discard the bay leaves and cloves before serving.