Greek-style Potatoes (to serve with Lamb)
This potato dish is especially good served with lamb, and in particular our popular greek style lamb. Don't forget to serve some bread along-side for mopping up the cooking juices and a green salad for some extra crunch
What you'll need
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 675g (1 1/2 Ib) firm potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2cm thick slices
- 4 ripe medium-sized tomatoes, sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a few sprigs each of rosemary, thyme & oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 300ml (1/2pt) lamb or chicken stock
- 50g (2oz) pitted black olives
Putting it all together
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (fan oven 160 C, 350 F, gas 4). Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onion and garlic for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly brown.
- Put half the potatoes and tomatoes in a shallow casserole dish and top with the herbs and onion mixture. Season well then arrange the remaining potatoes and tomatoes on top. Pour over the stock.
- Put the lid on or cover with foil and bake for an hour. Remove the foil, carefully mix in the olives and return to the oven to cook, uncovered, for a further 20-30 minutes until very tender.
- To serve, discard the herbs and serve straight from the pot to accompany our Greek-style lamb