Lamb Sausages and Tabbouleh-style Salad
This is our favourite way to cook sausages. You use less oil and the water helps keep the sausages plump and tender. If you'd rather grill your sausages, pre-heat the grill to a medium / hot setting and pop them on the grill rack. Cook for 8-10mins on each side until thoroughly cooked and golden. Drain well before serving.
15 minutes + soakingCooking Time
What you'll need
- 175g (6oz) bulgar wheat
- 2 packs Simon Howie lamb and mint sausages
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1/4 cucumber, washed and finely chopped
- 25g (1oz) curly parsley, finely chopped
- 25g (1oz) fresh mint, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2tbsp lemon juice
Putting it all together
- Put the bulgur wheat in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water and leave to soak for 30 minutes until tender and swollen. Drain if necessary and set aside until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan until hot then stir fry the sausages for about 5 minutes until browned all over. Reduce the heat and pour in sufficient boiling water to come halfway up the pan. Leave the sausages to simmer and cook through for about 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Mix the onions, cucumber and herbs into the bulgur wheat and season well.
- To serve, drain the sausages and pile on to warm serving plates. Dress the tabbouleh lightly with olive oil and lemon juice. Serve with warm pitta bread and crisp salad.