Lancashire Lamb Tray Bake
A simple one pot supper dish that's tasty and comforting. For a change, try our Boneless Pork Chops and use sage instead of rosemary.
What you'll need
- 2 large carrots peeled
- 1 medium turnip (swede) peeled
- 2 large parsnips
- 2 red onions, peeled
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 300ml (1/2pt) lamb or vegetable stock
- A few sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 packs Simon Howie lamb gigot chops
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
Putting it all together
- Preheat the oven to 200 C (fan oven 180 C, 400 F, gas 6). Slice the vegetables thinly and place in a large roasting dish or tray. Cut the onions into thick wedges and mix into the vegetables.
- Season the vegetables well and pour over the stock. Scatter with a few stems of rosemary and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until just beginning to soften. Turn the vegetables and discard the rosemary. Reduce the oven temperature to 180 C (fan oven 160 C, 350 F, gas 4).
- Meanwhile, wash and pat dry the chops. Season on both sides with salt and pepper, and dust lightly with ground cumin.
- After the initial vegetable cooking time, lay the chops on top, brush with the oil and put in the oven to cook for about 30 minutes until the lamb is tender.
- Serve the lamb and vegetables straight from the dish, garnished with fresh rosemary.