You can use sliced potatoes for this recipe if you prefer. Simply thinly slice 1Kg (2Ibs 2oz) baby new potatoes thinly and place in a bowl. Toss in 4tbsp olive oil and arrange on 2 prepared baking trays. Bake for 30-35mins until tender. Drain well and follow the recipe below
25mins + standingCooking Time
What you'll need
- 900g (2Ib) Aubergines
- 6tbsp Olive oil
- Pinch Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 Garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 Onions, peeled and chopped
- 500g (IIb) Simon Howie Lamb Mince
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1tbsp Freshly chopped oregano or 11/2tsp dried
- 400g Can of chopped tomatoes
- 50g (2oz) Butter
- 50g (2oz) Plain Flour
- 600ml (20fl.oz) Whole milk
- 1 Egg yolk
- 4tbsp Freshly grated parmesan cheese
Putting it all together
- Preheat the oven to 200 C (fan oven 180 C, 400 F, gas 6). Line 2 large baking trays with baking parchment. Trim and thinly slice the aubergines and arrange on the trays in a single layer. Brush with half the olive oil, season lightly and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes. Turn the slices over, brush again with more oil and continue to bake for a further 10-15 minutes until tender and lightly golden. Drain well. Reduce the oven temperature to 180 C (fan oven 160 C, 350 F, gas 4)
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of the remaining oil in a saucepan and gently fry the garlic, onion and lamb for 5 minutes, stirring, until browned all over. Add the cinnamon, oregano, and tomatoes. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 30 minutes until tender. Season to taste.
- Next, make up the white sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook for 1 minute then remove from the heat and gradually blend in the milk. Return to the heat and stir until the sauce thickens to a pouring consistency. Remove from the heat and stir in the egg yolk. Season lightly and set aside.
- Arrange half the aubergines in the base of a 5cm (2in) deep gratin dish. Spoon over the lamb mixture and then lay the remaining aubergine slices on top. Spoon over the sauce to cover the aubergine and sprinkle with cheese. Place on a baking tray and bake in the oven for about 50 minutes until richly golden and bubbling. Leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.