Our Favourite Mash (perfect with pork sausages)
To achieve the best textured mash, allow the freshly cooked and drained potatoes to "air dry" in the colander for 10 minutes. This enables the excess moisture to evaporate before you return your potatoes to the saucepan and begin mashing. For extra smooth mash, push the potatoes through a ricer before mixing with butter and cream or milk.
15mins plus dryingCooking Time
What you'll need
- 1kg (2lb 2oz) main crop potatoes such as Rooster, Maris Piper or King Edward
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 2tbsp single cream or whole milk
Putting it all together
- Peel the potatoes thinly and cut into small pieces. Place in a saucepan and add a pinch of salt. Cover with water, bring to the boil and cook for 10-12 minutes until tender. Drain well, leave in the colander or sieve for 10 minutes, then return to the saucepan.
- Mash the potatoes smoothly using a masher and mix in the cream or milk and butter until creamy smooth. Season to taste. Cover and keep warm.