Bacon and Sausage Lollipops
A quick and easy recipe. Perfect for a picnic and also loved by children.
25 minsCooking Time
What you'll need
- 220g pack Simon Howie unsmoked streaky bacon
- 10 Simon Howie traditional pork sausages
- 300g (10oz) ripe washed tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, peeled
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 4tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4tbsp caster sugar
- 1sp hot smoked paprika
- pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small cooking apple, peeled and cored
Putting it all together
- For the relish, roughly chop the tomatoes, onion, garlic and apple and put in a blender or food processor. Blitz for a few seconds until pulpy.
- Transfer the pulp to a saucepan and add the vinegar. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the sugar and smoked paprika, and continue to simmer for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until thick and pulpy. Allow to cool, discard the rosemary sprigs if used, then season to taste. Cover and chill until required.
- When ready to serve the sausages, preheat the oven to 190 C (fan oven 170 C, 375 F, gas 5). Line a baking tray with baking parchment. Carefully unfold the bacon and starting at the top of each sausage, wind a bacon rasher neatly round each sausage to cover it.
- Stick a bamboo skewer halfway through the length of each and arrange on the baking tray. Bake for about 30 minutes until richly golden and cooked through. Drain and serve warm with the relish as a dip.